|A distinctive collection|
As it turns out, Gordon recorded more than two hours of news footage, documenting the media response in the hours and days following the discovery of the suicides, including no fewer than two prime time specials. Since then, to the delight of my inner trainspotter, I’ve been treated to the likes of such gems as
- A retrospective on life and times Margaret Mead produced by California’s public television affiliate
- A documentary telling the story of a family that settled the nearby Anza-Borrego desert following the Great Depression
- An episode of Star Trek that features an example of the curious phenomenon known as “space hippies," which exist within the greater genre of science fiction
- A collection of news coverage shown at the time of the WTO protests in Seattle
- A film from the 1950’s depicting Thor Heyerdahl’s trans-Atlantic voyage with an international crew of researchers in a reed boat.
- A documentary on the 1972 advent of a hippy/egalitarian/spiritual phenomenon called the Rainbow Gathering which is now an annual event attracting anarchists and counter-culture people of every stripe.
- A 1970's cult classic film featuring Jimi Hendrix, called Rainbow Bridge