Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Independence Day Part 5


The next morning I happened into the other hotel on my way out of town and managed to catch Michelle as she was leaving. The two of us caught a public pickup out of town that also picked up a trio of other volunteers and the five of us chatted about WWOOFing and about Yachts on the trip into Samana. Since I had a couple of hours to kill, I decided to accept an invitation from Michelle to go to her tiny hotel on the hillside where she made me some polenta and we talked about our lives and philosophies while taking in her incredible view of the bay.

View from the beach at La Galera (photo by Laura Lehman)

As I waited in town for my bus back to Moca, a bus to the capital rolled up containing Phil, Adam, Amanda and Dory. The pleaded for me to join them, and though I badly wished I could, I had plans to leave the next morning for scout camp.

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying reading your blog. You're quite lucky to have a fruitful experience being a Peace Corps Volunteer from another country. I'm from the Dominican Republic myself! But I live in New York. I'd like to volunteer for the Peace Corps as well someday, and if I were to choose the country, I'd probably choose DR as well!

    Keep it up with the blog, very insightful! Great pictures too.

    ReplyDelete