Friday, July 15, 2011

Independence Day Part 3


A couple of different volunteers had basically booked up entire hotels there in La Galera. I had thrown my lot in with one of them, Charles, only to find when I arrived, that my roommates weren't coming until the 4th and I was going to have to sleep on the floor in another room so we could save money. After a few warm reunions at the beach and dip in the ocean, however, I came across Zenia who said she had a room for me with Christina, Erin, and Sabine and I wouldn't have to sleep on the floor. After another stretch at the beach including a round of touch football that had me goring my knee, I made my way over to a house Jose and many others had rented in a gated community off the main road. Jose had enlisted the help of a small team including Heather and Carl and was busy making barbeque skewers and baking chicken for everyone.

Another mini-VAC pic.

After marinating in the warm atmosphere and sharing a good while with Phil, Rodrigo, Adam, Magee, and others, it was time to hit the club. At La Galera's single dance club bachata and merengue blared and volunteers staked out a good quarter of the club sitting in big circles and sharing 30-ounce bottles of Presidente. I made the rounds and  after several tries only convinced once girl, Claire, to dance with me. Deciding to cut my losses, I bought a beer and started chatting with a friend of Amanda's, a girl from the Czech Republic named Michelle. It turned out Michelle had decided to come to the DR to follow up on a connection she had made while doing graduate research on a remote island off the coast of Honduras. Now she was waiting for the whale season to begin and thus to become a guide on a whale-watching boat. After another hour or so, I decided to head back to my room. Luckily, Sabine was still awake to let me in. I think we were both pretty stoked to have one-another's company and ended up chatting until the wee hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment