Sunday, July 17, 2011

Independence Day Part 4


On the fourth itself, it rained like cats and dogs. In the morning I made my way over to Jose's house where the party was going strong. I had supplied the house with my travel edition of settlers of Catan and I arrived just as they were making ready to begin a game! They paired me with Carl who had never played before and over the course of perhaps a couple hours while we played I tutored him. Carl was a quick study and I think we made a good team even though we didn't win. It didn't matter to me, I was just drunk on the good vibe thrilled to be part of the group.


I was there for hours just playing settlers, and then hanging out in the living room not doing much of anything. It just felt so good to be "off duty" and surrounded by people I love. During a break in the rain, we all made our way down to the road the led to the beach. Having little dry clothing left, and feeling a need for a break from socializing, I opted to hole up in my hotel room when the rain picked up. After a little while, though, I caved and made my way alone down the road which had been transformed into a muddy mess, shin-deep in water in places. When I arrived I found people playing volleyball and football in the driving rain while others stuck to the refuge of the giant, two story cabana we had taken over for the day. Try as I did, I couldn't muster the same enthusiasm for the cozy house scene from before and when several people from there headed back to dry out and regroup, I went with.

Volunteers playing football in the rain (image by David Richie)

There were those among us that night who seriously considered skipping the beach party, but eventually we braved the mud and rain and got to business dancing making merry. Michelle was there and refused a second time to dance with me, but I at least got to hear some interesting island stories and more details about her life. I spent a little while on the dancefloor but something about the music or the lighting or my lack of liquid courage kept me from reclaim the glory of prom.

No comments:

Post a Comment