Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Peace Corps Prom Part 4

The prom was at a place called Frat, tucked-away in one of the oldest parts of town. Built around an open-air courtyard, the place had a sizable anteroom that horses had evidently passed through at some point in history. Once inside, one rounded a corner and went through another door to arrive at one end of long room situated lengthwise along a bar. Everywhere, volunteers mingled and danced. At the other end of the bar was a cramped and sweaty dancefloor. It was ideal.

My work site: Scout Grupo 8 Clubhouse

Being that I had not had perfect attendance at social outings up to that night, it seems my colleagues were pleasantly surprised to see me. After ten weeks of training it was just what the doctor ordered. I hobnobbed with friends new and old and danced to Major Lazer and Miley Cyrus. At just about the time I was beginning to look for a ride home, the cab of volunteers hosted in my barrio happened to coalesce. Prom accomplished, I went home feeling satisfied and ready to face the months of service ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment