Thursday, April 21, 2011

Taken By Surprise

Part of CBT involves each volunteer giving three technical presentations. A technical presentation is a presentation in Spanish that sythesizes the principles of teaching we've been learning in our technical sessions (visual/auditory/kinesthetic, learning/asimilation/facilitation, What's In It For Me, etc.) We gave our first technical presentations to our fellow trainees. Our second technical presentation we gave to our respective youths while our Spanish teachers and technical trainer observed. I learned last week that the third technical presentation does not occur during our final showcase of our practica as I had supposed.

It turns out we were accountable for the independent scheduling and execution of our third presentation in addition to the material we present during the showcase. This would be fine if I had had time to decide on a topic, plan a presentation, and schedule it. As with many things in the DR, though, it wasn't so easy. This week is Semana Santa which means that everything kind of shuts down for the week. I will not have access to the computer lab I would like to use and even if I did, many of my youths would be on vacation during the days that it is available. What this has meant for me is that I have had three days to schedule and plan a presenation. In the confusion that ensued, it just so happens that I planned it to coincide with a training session that a really don't want to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment