Saturday, March 26, 2011

Volunteer Visit Part 1

On Thursday, I left Santo Domingo for the first time. One of my activities as a trainee is to go visit a volunteer assigned to me by the Assistant Peace Corps Director (APCD) and Peace Corps Volunteer Leader (PCVL) for my sector (Information and Communication Technology). Based on information I gave them during a short interview the week before, it was decided that I should go visit an ICT volunteer in a small community outside the town of Moca, about an hour from the north coast.

A preview of what I had in store: Indotel contructed the community computer
lab. My volunteer would describe them as the Johnny Appleseed of Computers,
Installing them wherever in hopes that they will one day be of use to someone. 

With me on the Moca bus were Zenia and Keeton and we gabbed about hair, and food and our respective places of origin as the windows of our air-conditioned charter bus revealed an autopista flanked by mountains, subtropical forest, and even a rice field planted in cooperation with the Taiwanese government. In Moca we were greeted by volunteers Heather and Sabrina who would be hosts to my travel companions and Magee, who was going to help me find Cassidy, my volunteer. After an unremarkable hamburger and delicious Zapote shake. We settled in their favorite hangout for mojitos and beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment