Tuesday, July 20, 2010

It Starts

Yesterday I received notice that I've been given medical clearance to serve in the Peace Corps. This is a milestone in the long, inscrutable process of applying to become a Peace Corps volunteer. Since I've gotten this far, I decided it's time to begin the time-honored tradition of keeping a Peace Corps journal.

If this is all the further I get, it will be a rather short journal. It is not unheard of for medically cleared nominees to not get in. I've heard the Peace Corps nominates two people for every volunteer position forecasted. However I've also heard that, given the length and uncertainty involved in the application process, many would-be volunteers drop out in favor of pursuing other life plans (grad school, employment, etc.).

At any rate, I wouldn't be writing this if I didn't think my chances are pretty darn good.

Here is the timeline that has led up to today:

7/11/2009 - Application Submitted

7/30/2009 - Interview

8/6/2009 - Application placed on-hold until programs departing after October 2010 become available.

2/22/2010 - Officially Nominated

2/28/2010 - Medical Packet Received

5/13/2010 - Medical Packet Returned

5/15/2010 - Request for additional Info

6/29/2010 - Request for more signatures

7/14/2010 - Medical file under review

7/16/2010 - Medically cleared

No comments:

Post a Comment